Wednesday, December 31, 2008
2008, in 15 answers
What was your biggest achievement of the year?
* not falling over on stage and thus revealing the contents of "My Short Skirt", medalling in Vegas was pretty nice for my family and friends to brag about, and being introduced as the third daughter of the Hikosawa family all come to mind. seems like i didn't do much to be proud of after the springtime!
What was your biggest failure?
* not softening the hardened heart, like i promised myself to do. i also never studied for, nor took the GMAT like i thought i was going to. oops.
What's something you learned about yourself?
* that i've been giving myself a pretty bum rap, and people see me a lot differently than i see myself. i should try to live up to that image, not the one in my head.
What's one thing you thought you'd never do but did in 2008?
* "dated" someone
Resolutions, kept and new?
* got through vag and vegas, so kept those. the herb garden went by the wayside when the construction crew came in, oh well. as for '09, i've made a couple of goals that will hopefully all work out for the best.
What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
* a laptop? though that may come back to haunt me. i've been living happily computer-free for quite a few years now.
Whose behavior merited celebration?
* my sister is a pillar of strength and love and an almost daily inspiration.
Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
* my own, in many cases. i lost me for a while, i'd like to come back now.
What do you wish you’d done more of?
What do you wish you’d done less of?
* argued with a brick wall.
What kept you sane?
* pilates and date-night
What drove you insane?
* instability at work... and maybe tequila :-p
Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
* Oh what a day is today
Nothing can stand in my way
Now that you've shipped out from under my skin
I think I'm ready to win
Oh what a night is tonight
I think I'm ready to fight
Now that my broken bones all have been healed
I think I'm starting to feel
current mood: ready to rock it.
Monday, December 29, 2008
not bad for a monday
after waking up late, and leisurely making my breakfast, i've spent the day cat-napping in sunlight and grass, listening to carols chimed by a nearby church carillon. work is going to be tough to go back to.
current mood: yawn-y
Thursday, December 25, 2008
of grace and beer
i've had many christmas eve traditions in my life, most warmly memorable is the time spent with my parents and siblings, anxiously scarfing down our Fillipi's pizza or homemade pea soup in order to get the commencement of tearing apart gifts started that much faster. as that tradition (sadly) faded away, it was replaced with a few delightful college years of watching the hours tick by in some dorm room of sorts, with my beloved doc-a-roo. as he moved to the opposite coast, i found myself reaching out to my catholic roots, and attending midnight mass at the Our Lady of the Rosary tiny italian church, if not for the sermon as much as the brooklyn-esque characteristics of the parishioners (as much a "how YOU doin'" as a "peace be with you" to go around. but this year, i couldn't have predicted i would be breaking all traditions by spending my eve with The White Rabbit and in the company of the long-lost acquaintances at the most unholy of establishments that my hometown has to offer. a strange night, but strangely peaceful, as i consoled and commiserated with a 'friend' of mine; a girl i've known since, we figured out, 3rd grade, but who i've never really been buddy-buddy with. but she answered a call, or perhaps it was the other way around, and we came together to share a moment, over a beer. christmas eve or not, it was a good reminder of life and love and all that stuff in between.
merry christmas, and god bless, every one.
current mood: thoughtfully reminiscent
Monday, December 22, 2008
the taxi time of year
i'm at work today, having driven one friend to the airport this morning, and another yesterday, while looking forward to driving another to work early in the morning so she can leave from there to her vacay. since i'm the local girl this time of year, i get to be the local cabbie, which i don't actually mind. the crappy part is escorting all my friends out of town, and realizing that i have 9 days ahead of me of no one around and nothing to do. i would love to go wine tasting up in temecula (actually, i just need to restock my everyday wine-glass collection, and no better way to do that than the 'free' glasses you get at tastings), but i'm pretty sure drinking by myself is not the jolliest way to spend the holidays.
current mood: hiccup!
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
definitely been up since 4am today. definitely have only ingested 2 large coffees and 2 protein drinks all day today. definitely feel like the shadow of my normal self today.
current mood: i need a steak and a nap
Friday, December 12, 2008
because of my new role at work, i've been suddenly cast into a very busy holiday party schedule. not only do i have the dean's office and alumni office get-togethers, but then i have the external relations party, the bio staff party, and the dock party... which i'm not even sure what that is. but beer has been promised, so i'm in!
current mood: 'tis the season!
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
i'd prefer you to be around a little longer. i think you would too. so if you could try to make that happen, i'd really appreciate it. thanks.
current mood: a bit shaken
Thursday, December 04, 2008
a star-studded tribute to Prop 8
current mood: it's funny because it's true